Chester

1) Civil War Monument

1904     2 Haverhill Road (NH 121)

Owned by the Town of Chester

The monument was dedicated on August 22, 1904.  There were 6,000 people present for the unveiling.  Of the 104 names inscribed on the monument only 14 still lived in town at the time.  It was re-dedicated in 2004 and names were added to the monument.

2) Stevens Memorial Hall

1909 (dedicated 1910)     3 Chester Street (NH 121)

Owned by the Town of Chester

The building was a bequest given by George Stevens who was a successful upholstery businessman in Boston but born in Chester.  Stevens Memorial Hall was built for $11,300 within one year.  The building was electrified in 1923 along with the installation of the plumbing.  The building underwent a restoration for its 100th anniversary celebration and retains all the original woodwork.  It is the home of the Chester Historical Society and is still in use for concerts.  Additionally, it has hosted 11 meetings of the Frost/Stagecoach Byway Council from 2012-2017.

3) Chester Congregational Baptist Church

1773    2 Chester Street (NH 121)

Owned by a private organization

The second Congregational Baptist Church was built in 1772.  In 1839, the meetinghouse was totally remodeled to its present size and turned to face Chester Street.  The original clock was installed in the late 1840s or early 1850s but was removed because it kept poor time.  The present Howard clock was installed in 1882 and has kept good time ever since.

4) Chester Turnpike

1805        

In 1805 the Chester Turnpike was built and ran just a little over 14 miles to Concord.  This shortcut saved the traveler about two miles.  It was promoted as being less hilly and of superior construction.  The road brought prosperity to Chester and the town's inn and taverns were filled every night.

5) Chester Village Cemetery

Early 18th century.  Corner of Haverhill Road (NH 121) and NH 102

Owned by the Town of Chester

This graveyard, one of the oldest in the state, was purchased by Col. John Blunt for 70 pounds in 1751. Signed stones by the finest stone sculptors in New England are found here. Among these craftsmen are: Stephen and Abel Webster, John Marble, John Wright and Timothy Eastman. Revolutionary heroes rest here as well as two governors of the state, Samuel and John Bell, William Richardson, Chief Justice of the N.H. Supreme Court, Isaac Blasdel the clockmaker, and others.

 

The Chester Village Cemetery was listed on the National Register in 1979.  

(taken from "New Hampshire Historical Markers". NH Division of Historical Resources.  Accessed 1/30/19)